Monday 5 August 2013

Eunice Winstanley Davies remembers ...

Hello, I think my mother's family were instrumental in starting the fish and chip businesses in 

Maltby. 


My grandfather brought his family to Maltby in the early 1900's. He came to work at the pit as a  
deputy but he also started a fish and chip shop in Morrel street called J Eyre & sons. 


My mother and his sons worked in this shop. She later started Manor Road Fisheries and 

she was then Evelyn Winstanley. She taught her son Jack Woolhouse the business and he took 

over Manor Road Fisheries.


She also taught her step children Lawrence Winstanley who had bought the chip shop on 


Morrel street and Dorothy Pugh who had a chip shop on Cliff Hills and the one on Rotherham 


Road opposite the grammar school.



At one time Jack owned 4 chip shops being 3 in Maltby and one in Rotherham area.




My mother had very interesting life. Her father Joe Eyre was a bit of a tyrant and she went into

 "service" to get away from home. She worked at Sandbeck and at the Queens and later on in

 Bournemoth and Blackpool. 


She was married and widowed 3 times and had to support herself and her children. 

When she married my dad Tom Winstanley he had 5 children and she had 2. 

She had compensation money from the pit for the death of her 2nd husband and she set my dad

 up in business buying and selling cars until they had enough money to have the Manor Road

 Fisheries built. 


I was the only child of their marriage and grew up in the fish shop. Those were happy days and

I look back on them with great fondness. 


I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school, so I tried Byfords and only lasted

 two weeks. Then I worked at our shop for while and wanted something different so went and

got a job at the toy shop called Heaths in Maltby. 

My other half sister called Dorothy had emigrated to South Africa and came home for a nine 

month working holiday. She and her husband persuaded my parents and his parents to allow 

his sister and me to return with them to South Africa as they said we were both spoilt and they

 were going to get us right! 

Well, we came by ship and had a wonderful trip and landed in Cape Town and then travelled 

by road to Johannesburg a very long journey to this dusty city with gold mine dumps and sky 

scrapers and wondered what we had come to. 

We didn't like it and were very homesick but we both got jobs and both eventually met our 

husbands. The weather was great, a lot of outdoors life and tennis 

and going away for weekends to resorts with cottages with thatched roofs and game reserves 

and lots of swimming . So we had a very different lifestyle. 


We both married and never went back to England for years - because we couldn't afford it.


(Photos to follow)




No comments:

Post a Comment